To all St Cross Juniors & those expressing a wish to join in 2017
St Cross CC 2017 Summer Plans
- Accelerate the development of cricket skills in conjunction with life skills
- Promote a fun, safe, friendly environment where all feel welcome
- Field highly competitive teams in all age groups
- Supply the highest number of players selected for District and County cricket from any club in Hampshire
Fees remain at £70 per child. There is not a sibling discount. Please complete the membership form linked here
Start of Season dates & plans before matches against other clubs start:
Sunday morning all age groups, boys and girls: 2nd, 9th, 16th, and 23rd April 9:30 start. Largely internal matches to help establish squads and welcome new members into the club. U9 boys and U11 girls will be on Pitch 1 outfield, U11 and above will have hard ball matches on the Pitch 2 astro (we can make these matches work even if there is a range of ability across a team). If numbers become too many for 1 match, we can have a 9:30 match and a 11:30 match.
These mornings will also be used as an opportunity to skill/empower parents so they feel confident scoring, umpiring, taking a team on a match day, and with various coaching drills. The 16th April will be a bit more of a fun morning with a bit of cricket followed by an Easter egg hunt!
Start of the weekly summer training W/C 10th April
Formally this will start w/c 10th April – the 1st 2 weeks will be a “soft start” as many kids will be on holiday, or not come to evening training because they have done the Easter camp during the day. This is no bad thing, and will help coaches to get organised before numbers increase.
More general summer plans:
- Steve Oliphant: The club is in search of an assistant groundsman, so that Steve is freed up to continue his excellent coaching work.
- Club pro: – The club is looking for an overseas player. A key part of the job description is someone who is a capable and enthusiastic senior & junior coach as well as being a good player.
- Rob Pfiefer: – Rob will extend his work from 1 evening per week to 4 evenings per week in 2017
- James Burridge: – will be head coach for the U13 age group
- Mat Etherley: – will work largely with the younger age groups
- Raj Naikin and Will Kendall: are both parents and former professionals and will look after the U13 and U11 girls respectively. Andrew Burgess (ladies coach) will also assist the older girls, and help them transition to ladies cricket.
- ECB Level 2 parent coaches: I think we have 11 qualified parent coaches spread across the age groups
- ECB Level 2 junior coaches: There are 5 former juniors who are now qualified coaches.
- Parent support coaches: The more parents we can get offering to help out regardless of cricket knowledge, the better. All you need is enthusiasm, we will teach you the rest!
Age Group Managers, scorers and umpires
We are short of parents offering to help out with various tasks. You can be shown everything you need to know for all roles, so no prior experience is needed. Please let us know if you would like to do a pre-season scoring/umpiring course, which the district organise. Kids of parents who can help out, do get more matches. Please register an interest on the membership form, or get in touch.
WW Summer Rules:
Please read the updated summer rules ahead of the upcoming season. You’ll be aware that there are some changes to a few rules, but very few.
The 2017 amendments are all shown in blue.
Summer Training Nights
Mondays 6:30 to 8:00 – U11 boys matches, U13 & U15 training
Tuesdays 6:30 to 8:00 – U9 boys and U11 girls
Wednesdays 6:30 to 8:00 – All girls able to play hard ball cricket integrated with the ladies practise
Thursdays 6:30 to 8:00 – U11 boys
Fridays 6:00 to 7:30 – U15 matches, W10, and 2nd group of U7 & U8 boys and girls
Saturdays – opportunity for 1:1 coaching with Steve Oliphant
Sundays 9:00am – U9 boys, U11 girls, U11 boys & U13 boys matches. ANy kids available, but not in a team on a SUnday morning will be able to attend a Steve Oliphant coaching clinic on a Sunday morning.
For U9 boys and girls, the idea is the more able kids will practise on a Tuesday, and the younger ones will train on a Friday (no school the following day, and the bar is open!). There can be flexibility based on which night works best for the family (eg 2 siblings coming on the same night). Kids of parents who help out are welcome to both sessions.
U11 boys should assume that they have the opportunity of a match all Sundays AND Mondays.
Can be purchased online or go in to their store in Twyford. All information you need is here. The password to access the St Cross portion of the site is “stx2017”
details to follow.
Winter training goes through-out the winter, with about 40% of juniors continuing their cricket indoors, whilst others focus on other sports. St Cross provides an excellent winter coaching programme for those who wish to continue their cricket.
Paul Hawkins (Junior Chairman)